DrPhil, I agree.

ISUK, one can, I believe, argue, that Porsche is testing the water with the Coupester. That is, they want to see whether a car that is 'the Best Design enabling the Best Performance' can become their premium sportscar. If it achieves icon status through its superior performance it could replace the 911 at the top of the range. On the other hand, if it were to start below the Boxster in price, it would be harder to move it up to the 911's price level.

No maker offers something like the Coupester at that price range. Rather there are poseur sportscars--the Mercedes for example.

The 911 is a unique cross between a wonderful shape and high performance. The Coupster we're now seeing is a good shape, but is it as good as the 911? I offer this hypothetical notion, now obviously irrelevant: a 911'ster--a mid-engine option for the 911.

This would allow the love affair with the shape to continue, and the performance to improve, while avoiding the awkwardness of the third, in-between-priced model.

But then the rear wheels would have to be moved rear-ward, which would throw off the proportions, which are so essential.

Just a thought.