reginos:
Whoopsy:
reginos:

The 992 is not so much larger in terms of length (+3cm) and overall width (+5cm) than the 991, but it is wider at the waist and this might give the impression of a bloated car to some people who criticize the design. The front and rear fenders are wider to accommodate the wider front and rear axle tracks (for better turn-in and grip) and as a consequence the middle section has grown to give harmonious proportions. A typical application of "form follows function".

Having said that, IMO the 992 design looks very fresh and attractive and the increase in size is not extreme compared to other cars on the roads today. Even humans have grown taller and bigger in the years since the 60s when the first 911 came out.

The 992, with its new proportions is the most colour sensitive of all the 911 versions. I've seen yellow and it is a definite NO-NO. White is also not the best colour and SIlver is borderline acceptable. Agate grey suits the shape very much as does Aventurine Green.

The Turbo is more suited to the new design IMO and contrary to the Carreras, Silver looks very attractive on that model.

The Carrera models look better with the Sport Design Package that gives modified bumpers front and rear.

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

I believe that's a wrong assessment. The growth in width of the middle section is not due to wider front/rear track. The form follows function part is more about the function to accommodate fatter and fatter drivers and passengers. Nothing more.

Indeed that was my point above about humans getting bigger not only cars.

IMG_5059.jpg

Look at this comparison between a 930 turbo vs a 992 turbo. In the 930 a clearly defined 'waist' is there. the front and rear track to middle ratio is much bigger than the 992. 

In the 992 the 'waist' has practically disappeared. 

34-24-36 is very attractive, but a 40-38-50 isn't, it's just fat. 

The 930 as well as the SC/Carrera versions of that body look really attractive even today. In the picture above the 992 is in the least complimentary colour. Yellow exposes its considerable mass next to the lithe 930 in a darker hue.

I had a 911SC as a classic alongside a 986 Boxster S for some years. I remember that in the small body of the SC, I always felt very exposed and vulnerable at high speeds of say 200 km/h and above whereas even the 986 felt a very secure place to be.

In conclusion higher speeds require bigger bodies but the 992 is somewhat OTT.....until we get used to it.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Agree and as the global market for Porsches increases, those decisions factor more and more into the product specifications.