This forum's been sadly lacking in R8 content recently - here's my attempt to redress the balance:

After my surprising look at the Huracan Evo (great fun, very exciting car) I thought I would see how an R8 V10 Performance compared: could it deliver most of the Huracan experience but at a lower cost level and with some extra practicality thrown in?

Firstly I was quite surprised how different the interior felt:  It seemed like the windscreen had a much steeper rake, and presumably this is what helps the car have some extra headroom in comparison to the Huracan - but it also gave it a feel a little akin to a 993.  On one hand it was nice to get some conventional controls back - e.g. stalk indicators and wipers, and rotary knobs for volume controls etc, but on the other had, there were so many buttons everywhere.  Bewildering.  It had some sports seats though, which were very comfortable and supportive, and I had room for a helmet.

Drive-wise it felt pretty similar in all respects except the engine. The power rating is very close, but the sound in the R8 is very subdued in comparison.  Somehow it didn't have the craziness the Huracan delivers when you get on the gas - even at sensible speeds.  Overall I couldn't help thinking it felt a bit like a normal 911 to drive.  Very practical and usable.

I guess in conclusion, it was what you'd expect of Audi's interpretation of that car - they made it something less brash and shouty, and something your neighbours wouldn't throw eggs at.  Something that could happily be used as a daily driver. But with that they lost the aspects that made the Huracan such an event - which puts a smile on your face whenever you drive it.  I concluded that despite all the practical plus points, the Audi was not for me...

--

2019 911 GT3 RS,1964 Type 1