watt:

Frank,

Dusk and later, before dawn and night is their hunting time.  Last week I misjudged turning time and came down a dark canyon in the dusk and murk.  Everything looks different which makes seeing the track difficult and you risk getting lost - Sun Ra becomes critical as lead bitch, to keep you on the track.

As dusk fell, I put the labs in patrol formation:  Sun Ra on point [12 o'clock], Sir Cosmic Messenger on my 6 o'clock, and Sueño and Sabre held in verbally, to surround me with million power noses and protect them more than roaming free  They provide a safety buffer for me as the cat gets to them first, truth be said.  I removed my Right glove, so I can shoot more quickly.  I carry a Glock 20 [10mm] in a chest rig with 220 grain hard cast bullets. 

It could be unpleasant enough to lose a dog then kill the cat, or even worse if your 6 dog fails to get bitten on the neck and the cat gets you instead:)

Speaking with our vet yesterday who as out 5 days on Search and Rescue looking for that lady that disappeared - we both think she was coming down in the dark, possibly lost the track and the Lion of that canyon got her. She had no dogs and likely no gun - totally exposed.  The search was called off after 2 weeks, some day her skeleton will be found. The cat drags its prey off to eat and hide leftovers, making it hard to find.

That sounds fantastically wild, what an experience it must be to live there. I'm going to have to visit you at some point. Smiley

What I'd wonder, would it make sense to get one proper defence/attack dog along with the others? Something that would/could scare of any nasty wildlife? Then again, I don't know what domestic dog would be strong/scary enough to fight of this type of wildlife. Smiley

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2020 Mercedes-AMG C63 / 2020 Ferrari 812SF