ISUK:

It's the opposite for me. I've always thought the Portofino looked like a poor attempt to add modern Ferrari aero design cues to a type of car that really shouldn't have or need them. The original California upon which it is based was already a reskin of the far prettier Maserati GranTurismo convertible proposal so each successive redesign has simply further compromised the looks IMHO. Centro Stile had a mission to stamp their design language on the range but were brought in during mid cycle refreshes on the model range. The Portofino M is cettainly an improvement on the first Portofino as they have sorted out the awkward styling of the rear bumper.

I was looking at the F8 Tributo yesterday and that has the same issue for me. It is generation 3 of the 458 and with each bit of tinkering by Ferrari's Centro Stile they have diluted the purity of Pininfarina's original design. The rear of that model is just so contrived and a mash of different design cues that it simply does not flow co-herently at all. Unlike Porsche, Ferrari have tended to get their styling absolutely spot on with the initial version of a model then spoil it with the follow up mid life refresh. There have been exceptions to this but as a general rule it holds fast - the 308 was prettier and purer than the 328, the 360 is ageing better than the F430, the F12 is a more harmonious and cohesive design than the 812 Superfast etc.

In stark contrast there was an SF90 at the event and that looks so much better in the metal than it does in photo's. The stance, surface volumes and details all work together as it was a clean sheet design and not a rehash of someone else's work. It looks like exactly like a modern evolution of the mid engined design language and is really how the F8 should have looked had the natural order of model replacement cycles not been tossed in the air by the need to introduce new hybrid power trains. The F8 looks like the stop gap warmed over design that in reality it is.

If you haven't yet seen the Roma in person you might just be surprised at how good it looks when you do. It is another Centro Stile clean sheet design and I'm glad Ferrari have taken the gamble to differentiate the styling of a GT model so clearly and give customers a choice between modern, extravagant mid engine design and refined, elegant grand touring style once again.

I was with you until the SF90 comments. I remain to be convinced by the SF90's styling though with its rather awkward front horizontal (hammerhead) fin and large hump at the rear. I suspect that will be superseded by the driving experience though. Unusually for me I am going to wait and see on this car. Of far more interest will be the lightweight 812 Superfast version. The SF90 Spider or Targa version should be out before year end 2020 too.