Leawood911:

I know plenty about Lidar. Did not argue that it was not old or did not exist.  Elon thinks it is overkill.  Do I want to believe you after having watched his presentation and having driven the car or you?  Hmmm  Am I imagining my last road trip?  

Besides you point has nothing to do with what I said  - which was that Tesla knows a bit more than all of us about what it will take to implement self driving at this point  

Do watch the YouTube video presented to investors last year detailing some of the tech Tesla used. I think it was called autonomy day or something. Next one is battery day in a few weeks. 

He is not always right, first of all.

Secondly, of course he would say that, why would he sink his own ship by saying his tech isn't good enoughSmiley

It doesn't matter how rosy he can present his case, physics don't lie. can't be broken nor bend. Math is math.

Enron made convincing presentations too before don't forget. 

Tesla only knows how their own tech can perform, and how Elon wish it can perform and promise how it can perform. Doesn't mean what Elon wishes can happen. There might be one day when he can finally get it to work, but that day could be decades behind Lidar based system.

--