Gnil:
RC:

I do not see any resemblance with the Alpine. 👀

It was the first impression from the photos. It is the global proportions and lines.

These last photos are much better and make it looks more like a Maserati .

Generally, I don't see where that car fits in. Maybe only for the hard core Maserati fans.

The car looks, in my opinion, fantastic. I'm not a fan of the V6 Biturbo but I think we all know that this is the way almost all manufacturers are going to go for the next foreseeable future. 

Where does it fit in? Depends on the pricing. If Maserati thinks they can sell this thing for over 200k, I think they are very wrong. The F8 Tributo is at least one performance category above the MC20 and the Huracan Evo may not be a bargain but at least it is, very likely, the last V10 and has a n/a engine.

This means that the only way Maserati can successfully sell this thing is for a base price starting at around 160-180k EUR (incl. VAT) in Europe. Also, I see huge(!) potential on the used car market, if the MC20 cannot hold it's value. A low mileage MC20 for under 150k could really be something worth looking for.

I think the doors were a mistake though, they add weight and cost. 

The Alfa Romeo 4C failed because it wasn't neither fish nor meat as we say here. The price tag was OK but the car lacked refinement and power. The MC20 is a number bigger and definitely not underpowered (even though in the world of supercars, 630 hp is more on the lower end) and I even think that the refinement (chassis, engine, etc.) is there but the price tag cannot be too high and this is where Maserati will clearly fail. Instead of offering an alternative to the Grand Turismo, they seem to position the MC20 above the GT, which in my opinion is a mistake. Maserati is not Ferrari and if I had to choose between the MC20 and the F8 Tributo, I clearly know where my choice would be.

I am no marketing expert and I do not know how Maserati customers think and choose their cars, so maybe Maserati knows what they're doing but in my opinion, the MC20 is a product nobody asked for and this makes it difficult to sell. With over 700 hp and a weight below 1400 kg, this car would have been a no-brainer at slightly over 200k but like this? Nope. Never. Ever.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)