Boxster Coupe GTS:
Leawood911:

Again -  confusion seems to exist between what a driving aid is vs level 5 autonomy.

I will trust my experience over these well intentioned articles which focus on total autonomy. Ask why insurers rate the Tesla so much safer?  Silly to argue it is not. Minds throws the whole legitimacy of the author out the window. 

Leawood, we know you like the technology, so I sincerely encourage you to read the article again and try to understand the Waymo experience...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

Waymo uses data and testing to make decisions. Five years ago, they let employees try out the tech for a few weeks. What Waymo found was extremely troubling. At first, users were nervous and didn't trust the car.  However, that quickly reversed and they came to trust the car too much. It's very hard for humans to pay attention when not making decisions. Waymo found that users simply were not able to take over control of the car in a reliable fashion. When partial autonomy failed, it became dangerous because the human was not prepared to take over control...

...you may be making the same mistake as those Waymo employees using partial autonomy — you trust your car too much! Smiley

Smiley  The idea of Leawood actually really blindly trusting the car is some really funny stuff. How often in Europe do you take a drive in excess of 2,000km and only stop the absolute minimum number of times for a very quick fuel stop ?  Leawood has a history of taking such drives multiple times per year and I have been along on a number of these to see that he never used cruise control. I would feel confident with a driving history of that sort, that he is still closely monitoring the auto pilot while possibly improving his intake of every event within visual range fore and aft

I guess if the system allows the mind to wonder, it would be a question of whether your thoughts are still focused on all the information you can take in from your surroundings or are you going to try and read a book while driving.