Grant:
CGX car nut:
RC:
Topspeed:

730hp...but sounds like a muted 4 cylinder Smiley

I know... Smiley

I think I figured out why the flat crank but low revving engine concept.  AMG must be using the head architecture from its M139 four cylinder engine used in the new A45.  In top spec, it is rated at 420 bhp.  Accounting for parasitic loses that gets the engine down to 730 bhp in a conservative tune.

So, what is the upside of using that arrangement?  I still think it must be partially due to the different sound.  Couldn't they make 730hp with the previous arrangement and more boost?  Maybe throttle response is improved with FPC?

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Speculative on one's part; however, looking at potential cost savings from sharing components for a limited edition model, it makes some sense to utilize those newly developed heads from the M139 engine.  The M139 is fully developed, meeting current emission and other regulations with the heads and ancillary components being costly.  Using the flat crank configuration is the equivalent of two four cylinder motors with a common crank, AMG meets its performance parameters comfortably with a large safety margin.