Quote:
997C2S said:
Carlos, I just found out that the AMV8 weighs 1500kg, that's 40 more kgs more than the 997S. The AMV8 has 50-50 weight distribution; has a longer wheelbase than the 997S, and in overall length is shorter than the 997S; its also lower and wider than the 997S. It is rumored to produce 380, 400 or 410 hp, and 540NM of Torque, as opposed to 400NM of Torque by 997S. Looking at these figures, what makes you so sure that the lap time figures are bogus or fudged up? And lets talks about price, the base AMV8 will be 60K Sterling as opposed to 65K for the base 997S. If I was Porsche, I wouldn't waste time worrying, I would do something to rasie the hp in 997S to 400.

I see your points, but the 1500kg is a pre-production figure and you know what that means relative to the actui!al weight when it gets produced. Longer wheelbase does not mean better, look at a sedan for example vs an Elise or a Radical. The 50-50 weight distribution is not a good thing in a sportcar, sportcars and racecars have a rear weight bias because that gives better handling character around the bends, better traction and better balance in braking, sedans and more user friendly cars have the 50-50 setup.

The 996TT with its 420HP and Porsche sportier setup did "only" a 7:56, and the rumor claims a 7:51 from the AMV8? ... not even with r-compound tires. Let me put it another way, the mid engined, AWD sporty Lambo Gallardo with 500HP did a 7:50, and so its 570HP bigger brother. The "baby" Aston will do great if it can beat the AM Vanquish's time of 8:17. I'm not going to get into the pricetag because I don't want to compare which is the better car since thats not the intention of my post becuase thats silly, it depends on what you want from a car.

I personally like the AMV8, not to mention that its one of the best if not the best looking sportcar in the scene right now , but my intention is to discard this silly rumor like when people though the 500HP E90-M5 sedan would lap the ring under 8min as publish in pre-production by BMW and the found out that its far from that when Sport Auto took it to the ring. The AMV8 is not meant to be a ring performer, its meant to be a beautiful confortable sportcar smaller more agile Aston Martin with plenty of exclusivety and class. More in line with a Maseratti Coupe than an equally powered 911 version, much less a GT3.