RC:
Porker:
RC:
olli:

More of a 991.2 Turbo S competitor now, rather than 991 GT3/RS?

Not even that...new Turbo S does 330 kph...and 0-100 kph under 3 seconds.

Mercedes is clueless...sorry to say that. Smiley

They're clueless because they're not offering a 4WD car lacking emotion?

I wouldn't have to think twice choosing between an AMG GT-R or a Turbo S. Who cares if it doesn't accelerate to 100 in under 3s?? Smiley

Power, dude...power. The car has not enough to compete with the cars in this class.

Also, this prejudice against AWD is pure old school mentality. I suggest you drive various modern AWD sports cars with ESP turned off and/or in the sportiest driving mode program, you'd be surprised.

Example: My R8 V10 Plus slides over all four wheels if you put it in Performance mode DRY, it can't get more emotional. Smiley Not very useful though for fast lap times, not good for the tires and pretty dangerous if you are too fast. For public roads not really recommended, for the track, you need different tires (PZero works well for a round or two maybe and then... Smiley).

The 991.1/991.2 Turbo S may have a bit of a more forgiving AWD setup, true but they can be fun as well. I never had complaints about the chassis setup or driving emotions at the limit but these cars are only fun when driven very fast and at the limit and where can you do that on normal roads? Not possible and most Turbo S drivers won't use such a car on a track anyway, so what remains? A boring sounding 911.

Have you driven the AMG GT S? Superb sound (though not even close to a n/a car) and good handling but with various traction issues when the turbo boost kicks in. Actually, it reminds me a bit of my former C63 AMG Coupe PP but traction is a bit better, surprisingly. 

The AMG GT S is no GT3 and if you think you love a car because it goes sideways, why don't you exchange your GT3 RS for a AMG GT S? Smiley A 911 is basically the best next thing you can get to AWD...the rear engine design has a purpose but I guess I don't have to tell you that.

A car with constant traction issues can be fun but it can also be a pain in the ass at some point. 

Mercedes may have done a better job with the new AMG GT R but the power won't be enough to impress and no matter how good the chassis will be, traction issues will still exist.

Remember? The AMG GT S was supposed to be a Porsche killer but it can't even beat the new 991.2 Carrera S, a car with 90(!) hp less. Smiley I am talking track performance here, not straight line.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Come on Christian, you make it sound as if 570hp is barely adequate, I really don't care about those numbers. If the power to weight, and power to grip balance is nicely judged, I'm happy. Be it with 200hp or 600hp. 

It's not about drifting either, yes that's fun, but a GT3 serves that purpose equally well. It's not because 911's excel in traction that they're not beautiful machines to slide.I doubt the GT-R has the traction issues  you'd lead us to believe, in the press it is praised because of its impressive traction despite its layout.

I have high hope for the car, let's see what it brings.

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring