Leawood911:

Speaking of government intervention. If you think we are driving gas powered cars today free of government and big business incentives you might be mistaken.  How do you think we got here?

What is this talk of gated communities needing xtra power?  Lol. I’m pretty certain that if everyone in my neighborhood charged up their 100 or so miles they used on an average that day using their in home 240 volt outlet for a couple hours at night there would be jubilation by the local power company.  Why on earth do you  have super chargers in neighborhoods?  Wtf. This is not how it works at all. Weird theory. Maybe it’s a Canadian thing. Here in Kansas we have plenty of power and modern powers lines. 😎
There is no doubt I bought my car without incentives because it cost a penny a mile to operate and is fast as shit. Today. We can talk in ten or five years and have a laught. I can’t stop laughing about ice cars taking 100 years to mature - guess what a mature car sounds like. Bzzzzzzzz. Hmmmmmmm

I am talking about a random average neighbourhood, not your specific one or anywhere else. 

And not talking about putting a supercharger in a residential neighbourhood, but just the regular level 2 home charger that runs on 240V. 7-9kW/hr draw for each car plugged in. An average house only pulled about 30kW on average per day, that's less than 3kW/hr, charging a EV literally takes 3 times the current draw per hour of a typical house. 

Do you not see a problem there? Transformers for residential neighbourhoods were never sized for such a draw. Yes there are built in head room, but not 4 times the typical current draw head room. 

Charging a EV is not a peak load, it's a constant draw at 30-40A at 240V. Multiple that amount by the whole neighbourhood if everyone has a EV and all charges at night after they come back from work. Not all will need a whole 8-10hours of charging to be full, some will need the full 10 hours while others might only need a couple.  But there will be overlapping time when all the cars are drawing electricity, and most currently installed transformers will not be able to handling the extra loads. 

A newly built residential neighbourhood might already factored in the effect of EV charging and sized their transformers appropriately but most neighbourhoods aren't and will need at least a transformer upgrade, if not extra power lines. 

--