Grant:
Whoopsy:
Grant:
Whoopsy:

So it needs bigger turbos and more air intakes to make 650PS reliably..

Old engine tops out at 620PS as in the Exclusive version. 

Well, wasn't the GT2RS basically same motor (with key mods like new pistons and water sprayer) with 700 PS?  The new 3.8L is built on a new platform (shares 9A2 with 3.0TT from 992 Carrera and NA 4.0L from 718 line).

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I believe GT2RS already had bigger turbos than the standard 991 turbos.

From what the press release is saying, those turbos on the GT2RS are already working over time to bring in enough air to be compressed by the turbo, and made denser by the water sprayer cooled intercooler in order to make 700PS.

The new turbo S has a redesigned intake track, so the limitation on the intake side is removed, and the bigger turbos have no problem gathering air and compress them to make 650PS reliably without needed water spray. 

On the 991, the turbos are sucking through a smaller straw, so they had to work a bit harder, the new car has a bigger straw. End result is that the compressed air is less heated and retains the required density. 

I have a few tire pumps. All of them can get a tire to 45PSI and more, but the most portable one, with the smallest compressor, pumps out quite hot air, my bigger one pumps out cooler air and gets there quicker. Same idea.

Makes sense.  I wonder where the ceiling is on the new 3.8 motor, given the GT2 RS treatment??

Knowing Porsche, it won't be at the 800 level for sure. My best guess is 750-770 range. If even.

The limiting factor is the PDK, torque limited. Unless they get a stronger box, there won't be much gain as they can't quite lift the redline much higher either. 

--