First of all, the 911 fills many different roles for a variety of owners and does so spectacularly. That it does this is amazing. The problem is that it HAS to fill these roles. A GT3 owner is very different than a standard 911 cab owner. Personally I think a rear engine in a rwd car is much better than a front engine because you want the weight on the driven wheels (and so have greater grip on corner exit). Ofcourse mid engine is better still because you get weight on the rear, but you have a better polar moment of inertia. My point is that the rear engine isn't a weird design that happened to work, it's the secret to the 911's success, because it allows for better sporting characteristics while maximizing interior room and practicality. This, paired with wonderful engineering, have made the 911 the legend that it is.

The problem I see in the future is that the GT3 models are too far any from the standard models in terms of purpose. GT3s don't need to be practical, they need to be light and handle well. The other issue is that we are in a hp war so someday a normally aspirated flat six may not cut it and a larger motor shouldn't be hung off the rear. Porsche may continue to build the 911 until the end of time and make 911s work for both the average buyer and the track day crowd. There is nothing wrong with this. It just seems that if they could replace the car with two separate models, that each one could move further toward the buyer's needs. A more practical model could make the rear seats more useable while the more racy model could go mid engine and lose the rear seats. This will never happen though because Porsche wants to cut costs by having the same model appeal to everyone. Again, GT3s may top my list for best cars on the planet for as long as they make them, even if the basic design is suboptimal, the execution is always better than the competition and so makes up for it.