Quote:
carlos fromspain said:

So why won't I personally get it?... because it takes away part of the pleasure of the driving experience of sportcars for me. Bypassing the shifting is diluting the experience, makes it less challenging, less driver intervention, less things going on in the whole process, less skill that is asked from you, detatches you from a very important part of the car, etc. And what are sportcars cars all about? to some like me it boils down ultimately to "driving" and "fun and pleasure at the wheel" even more than fractions of a second at the track or in a 0-60. I won't jeopardize or trade off a bit of the driving experience for a fraction of better performance.

I've been thinking about what you say here, Carlos, and I agree now more than I did a few hours ago.

I think maybe the paddles have more to do with "luxury performance" than , what..., "regular" performance?"

Like on a long drive you want comfort and not having to jerk around with that clutch and shifter.

BUT when you want to burn up some road the paddles are a really fabulous way to apply power to the road fast.

THAT luxurious combination is good.

Plus maybe there's this other more serene level where you can put your brain power into , the brain power which is left over from not having to pay attention to the foot on the gas, the foot on the clutch, the eye on the tach, it's like you can see the road and what's happening to the car more with this extra brain power. There's a heightened awareness if you want it.

But I will gladly defer to the opinions of you guys with the track experience since I haven't learned to drive on a track (except one weekend in a BMW course).