OK, the decision has been made, took my wife today to the dealer.

She was deeply surprised, in a positive sense, by the RS6 and she actually confessed that she liked it (she thought this is like one of her friends' BMW 3 series station wagon but everything was just different and sportier).

At that time, she was completely opposed to the idea of me getting a R8. The RS6 suddenly made sense.

Drove the RS6 again and loved it. Powerful, nice sounding and very sporty drive feel, way better than the Panamera Turbo S I had, which was again a huge surprise (Kudos to Audi).

Now we switched to the R8 and my wife wasn't too impressed...at first. I took the first drive with my son and when I turned on the engine, my wife got the shivers. indecision 

I drove away with my son in the R8 and my wife claimed that she heard us driving even inside the building. 

Then, it was her turn to drive with me in the R8 and the deal was sealed: She wants me to have the R8. Unbelievable.

The sound of this car is just amazing, people were turning heads wherever we were driving by.

Then...it happened what should happen...the police stopped me. Munich police is well known for stopping people with loud cars and confiscating them (no kidding), so they can be examined by a special tech guy who then establishes if the car is street legal or not.

In my case and the R8, this wasn't necessary. Why? I didn't have the car papers with me (dealer forgot to give them to me...), so they called the dealer and talked to the sales person. When they heard that this is a test car from the dealership, they didn't bother me anymore regarding the sound. However, even I have to confess that I don't have a clue how the heck Audi did get a street legal certification for this exhaust system. It is just insane!
Drove back to the dealership, after spending 15 minutes on the side of a road next to a police car and I expected my wife to be mad at me (she is not a very patient person) but on the contrary, she loved the R8 even more. yes

The car has been reserved for me, the papers will be signed soon but I cannot pick it up before end of June because I have way too much work and one of my employees is going on vacation. 

I would like to add a few things I noticed about the new Audi R8 V10 Plus, a more thorough review will be posted once I have the car for a week or two:

1. Exhaust/engine sound is just insane and out of this world. Seriously. Very close to the Lamborghini Huracan, actually at the same loudness with a slightly deeper tone but also screaming when you push it hard. The sound is pure aural sex, much better than the 911 GTS sound and louder than my GT500, which says a lot about it.

2. The gearbox is amazing, I used the paddles to shift and the shifting reaction is basically instantaneously. While on the 911 GTS, there is always a very very short moment until it shifts, the shifting in the R8 actually goes hand in hand with your fingers moving the paddles. There is absolutely no delay, upshift or downshift. Wonderful!

3. The steering is very direct, a tiny bit lighter than on my 911 GTS but also a bit more direct. Very surprising since I was always pretty sure that there aren't many cars out there with the fantastic steering feel of the 911.

4. The interior quality is just top notch, this is another (different and higher) level than my 911 GTS. The virtual cockpit is amazing as well and a lot of fun.

Overall, I was driving with the windows open all the time because I couldn't get enough of this sound.

I really suggest to test-drive the new R8 V10 Plus, you really don't know what you are missing.

The car I got myself has Pirelli Pzero tires and they are very good, similar to the ones on my 911 GTS. I always liked the  Pzero because it always provides a similar drive and steering feel, no matter on what car you have them.

The 911 GTS Cab is staying by the way... Smiley This R8 replaces my GT500 (farewell to it...).

Here are a few (not so good) iPhone photos, more to come once I pick it up end of June.

Btw: It looks much better live than on photos.

Car has all the necessary goodies like sport exhaust (yes, this is an option!), Bang & Olufsen Hifi system, laser light and whatnot. MSRP is 208k EUR. Ouch. 

14650421729211.jpg
14650421730022.jpg
14650421730143.jpg
14650421730224.jpg
14650421730255.jpg
14650421730406.jpg
14650421730447.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)