Whoopsy:
Porker:

I really don't get these GT2 Clubsports. The GT3 Cup is a better racer in every respect, and I assume it costs a fraction of it. I assume you can even get a used GT3 R for that money?

don’t look at it as a pure race car.

it is developed along the lines of the GT4 Clubsport, like a track toy. Some clients outgrow the GT4 CS already and asked for a faster car.

Like the GT4CS, the goal was to make a turn key track car with easy and less maintenance than a Cup car.

Cup car, GT3R have engines and gearboxes that need regular rebuilds, these Clubsports have street car engines and gearboxes that requires little to none. Like an oil change every 6000km and that’s about it.

neither were developed for any race series, but SRO approached Porsche and build a series out of them, hence the GT4 class and the new GT2 class.

Yeah but a GT3R or Cup Car with a stock GT2RS engine and gearbox take away all of those issues. You just have the much better chassis/suspension/brakes of the full on racecar and a de-tuned (but still much more powerful) engine in the 700hp GT2 lump. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region