schmoell:
reginos:

Very good review from someone who drives both Porsche sportscar and Tesla kiss

I try to understand why someone would  invest this very high amount on a Taycan, provided that EV ownership is far from compulsory even in very developed countries? Most people view EVs as a (more) economical way of traveling. If this is the case there are other much less expensive good alternatives to the Taycan, some of which consume less electricity to cover the required distances. OTOH, if a person is so much after dynamic qualities and emotion there are plenty of IC-engined cars (and several hybrids) that can do that better than any EV.

Probably, Porsche is looking very much ahead when EVs will be the norm in some markets, if this time ever comes and they are trying to establish themselves in this sector.

But for now the Taycan, albeit a very accomplished vehicle from reading the reviews,  is an answer to a question no one asked. Porsche are trying to foster demand for this type of vehicle and good luck to them. It is a very risky investment (€6.6 billion overall?) and if it fails Porsche will be in trouble.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

New regulations (like Euro 7), political directions, public opinions and environmental aspects will very likely mean the end for high power ICEs in a not too distant future (e.g. Porsche is planning for an electric only Macan/Boxter/Cayman). We also have to think about the billions of people in developing countries who - eventually - want to drive a car. I'm quite sure that this future will not be based on oil. ELVs come with their own hell and I guess that no one knowns, if all the problems can be solved. But a lot of technologies look more promising than burning oil for a 20% efficiency. For me the Taycan , Tesla, ID.3 are a small step into this future, although they do not solve a problem today.

The all electric future is not tomorrow but many years for now. For this to happen different materials and technologies are required for batteries (cost, weight, charging times, range etc) and the right infrastructure so that the electrical grid  in each country or territory  can handle the extra demand for electricity. These things could take another 15 or 20 years but definitely not 5.

In the meantime EVs will not achieve price parity with gas powered ones and those who buy EVs are loaded with the very high initial R&D costs and the potential maintenance costs of battery replacement are frightening. Governments need to throw big money to subsidize EV purchases on a huge scale so as to substitute ICEs and I don't think this will be feasible, notwithstanding the noble cause of clean air, as most economies around the world are struggling and have other economic priorities. Total electrification of transport could be achievable by 2030 in a minority of rich countries, affluent regions or heavily polluted metropolitan areas but for the ROW this will take longer.

For the time being EVs will be for the affluent novelty seeker who can afford the huge initial prices. Forgetting the Taycan which comes from a very expensive brand, for someone to pay €40.000 for a i3 or €80.000 for E-tron this person must have money to burn. I think the vast majority of drivers around the world will continue to use ICE powered vehicles for the next 20-25 years at least.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"