Quote:
Dock (Atlanta) said:
Quote:
Alex18_996CC said:
...the 996 turbo also decided to push it, we went nearly all time behind him(only some metres of gap), but one thing is for sure, and it is that the 996turbo couldn't go and leave us behind!!!.

Then the Turbo wasn't trying very hard.

Dock, some facts for you (test data from car magazines):

1. 996 Turbo Tiptronic 0-125 mph in 16.6 sec.
2. 997 Carrera S 0-125 mph in 16.1 sec.

The 996 Turbo manual has been tested at around 14.6-15.1 seconds from 0-125 mph, around 1-1.5 seconds faster than the 997 Carrera S. Add the chrono sport package to the 997 Carrera S and somebody who knows to shift fast, add somebody who isn't that experienced in shifting fast on the Turbo and you get practically the same performance. I know there is a lot of theory too behind this but you get my point.

It is no secret that my dealer and his sales staff monitors this forum, so this is no fantasy story, I told it before:
a while ago, I met a 993 Turbo on the Autobahn. From 80 kph to around 220 kph, he wasn't able to pass me but only to get next to me. When we started at around 80 kph, he was around 10-15 meters behind me.
And now the best part: this Turbo had the factory 450 HP kit. Of course I was alone and this guy had his wife with him (add another 60 kg or so) but he was very very surprised and me too.
Last week he came to my dealer and talked to my sales man, he wanted to do a testdrive in the Carrera S because he was impressed. I had told my sales man about this encounter before the owner showed up at the dealership and yes, he came to my dealer because of the surprising encounter with me in the 997 Carrera S. So this is no fake story but a true story. I know the 997 Carrera S doesn't feel as powerful as a Turbo and this is pretty normal because it has a normally aspirated engine. My Cayenne Turbo feels much more powerful (which it actually is) but of course I can't outrun my 997 Carrera S. And the 996 Turbo Cab I had for a while also felt very powerful but it was of course mainly because of the excellent torque figure at lower rev figures due to the turbo chargers. Two different beasts.

I would never sell a 996 Turbo to get a 997 Carrera S but if I would have to choose between two new cars now, I'd go again for the 997 Carrera S with 20 mm suspension. Of course this will change as soon as the 997 GT3 shows up and especially the new 997 Turbo. Right now I don't see a need for the 997 Turbo but I'm pretty sure that when it shows up, I'm sold. I just wish I have the necessary money by that time. Playing the lottery might not be a bad idea at all...

Pictures shows 996 Turbo Cab a two days ago on the Autobahn.
Speed is 303 kph, sorry for the bad picture quality.