I keep returning to the quip I recently read where someone wrote, "Musk talks like what a dumb person would think a smart person would say."

I've also grown incredibly wary of the Tesla cult and its participants' lack of knowledge on basic automotive facts.  Porsche, for example, has over a decade of work with various forms of EVs through its motorsports division.  Over the same time period it has developed and sold hybrid vehicles which, of course, have at least one electric machine. The 919 and the 911 hybrid race car are examples of that research.  In motorsports, performance, efficiency, and reliability, are of the utmost importance.  Porsche developed a 800 volt system, amongst other systems and technologies incorporated in the Taycan, for its WEC championship winning 919.  

Additionally, Porsche invested over €6 billion for development of the Taycan.  This investment rivals, and potentially exceeds that made by Tesla over the same time period.  Porsche, as part of the larger Volkswagen Group receives the benefits of cross-pollination of R&D from Audi, Volkswagen, and Volkswagen R&D.  Therefore, indirectly, the investment in the Taycan is significantly greater than what Tesla made for its current and near future product line.   The Volkswagen Group, along with Mercedes-Benz, have focused on other parameters besides ultimate range with its first round of EVs.

Musk, once again, has sent Tesla into a competition that it never needed to enter.  Few Tesla current and future owners care about that car's lap time at the Nürburgring; however, that time measure is a standard performance parameter released with the launch of nearly every new Porsche model.  Musk, and I have stated this obvious fact before, needs to concentrate on making the company profitable starting now; the obsequious capital markets will not remain this way forever.  By the end of 2020, Volkswagen Group will have at least five different EVs, at different pricing points, on market.  This doesn't include new entrants by Mercedes, BMW, Nissan, and General Motors.