RC:
lukestern:
RC:

I thought the Tesla S for the record run is no prototype, so it can be compared to the Taycan? 

This GT3 clearly was a prototype and no, Porsche didn't attempt a record run with it. 

But that's the thing. Tesla did never announce anything about making a record, they just tweeted that they were present att the ring with a Model S. All the rest was all made up by media and random people posting stuff on the internet Smiley

Seriously? You don't get the irony? Smiley Elon Musk announced this publicly, he could have (did Porsche announce the GT3 testing? Smiley) done it quietly. Oh boy...fanboys, you have to love them.

Tesla doesn't work like Porsche so why should they start now? It's like comparing an e-commerce business with a brick and mortar company. They have different history and different skills, but both can co-exist and make sense.

What kind of approach a company has in terms of PR/Marketing is for each company to decide. And from this perspective I don't see what Tesla have claimed that is "false"? They are bold and I agree that they can be like an irritating fly if you don't like them, but that doesn't mean they're lying or cheating.

If you call me a Porsche fanboy now: I drive a Lamborghini and AMG. No Porsche. Sorry. Smiley

No, I don't call you fanboy and also take note that I really do like Porsche. That's probably why I'm here, right?

Now when they leave they have given some ballpark numbers what their prototypes achieved while on the ring. And then it's pretty bold to say that the production car that will come in a year or so will be even faster. Time will tell how that goes though Smiley

This is not about giving ballpark numbers or whatever, this is a very clever marketing/advertisement stunt and pissing in Porsche's garden, to annoy them and to create headlines, positive headlines Tesla didn't have for a very long time.

maybe it is, but quite some smart stunt then, don't you think?

I must ask how you rate all the Porsche Taycan prototype videos with repeatability. That was targeted to show that Porsche is better than Tesla and focus the marketing around that. Is that any better? And why should not Tesla respond if they can?

Tesla feels the pressure from the Taycan and I bet that Elon Musk, when he saw the Taycan for the first time, said: Dammit, this is a good looking car.

But hey, competition is good and I really do think that the Taycan will be very important for many reasons. Porsche just confirms with their EV strategy that electric cars are the future even for sportier cars and that they even can be drivers cars and be more than a compliance car. This create interest from everyone (and even car people even if not everyone is so fond of it). Taycan is not a competitor against any of the Tesla models. It's a different type of car in a different price segment for a different type of customer. All good then!

It's a new game now and there just happen to be yet another player that hasen't been there before. Competing on the ring between BMW M, Merc AMG, Audi RS, Porsche, etc has been going on for decades. Now we will see more EVs competing and challening each other. Good for us customers and a fun ride to follow!