nberry:

Nick, when the Taycan was first revealed many stories never denied by Porsche indicated the car would sell below $100,000. As a result, they got 30,000 deposits. The depositors were misled. Fortunately in many States, depositors can get their money back. I suspect substantial number will.

Now the question is, why would Porsche do the bait and switch? My guess is they recognized they could not compete in the Tesla segment. They then decided to significantly increase the price of the car and claim they are in a more luxurious market segment. 

I believe they will eventually enter the Tesla segment but the car will be a whole lot different than the present Taycan.

Finally, a short story. A very successful retail and restaurant seafood establishment in San diego is owned by a Porschephile. He had told me they he placed a deposit on the Taycan. Yesterday, when he saw I was in his store and came out to talk to me. He asked whether I was getting a Taycan and I told him no. It's too expensive. He said Porsche is nuts and he is getting his deposit back.I suspect there will be more stories like this.

Since the beginning of time, Porsche had never ever announced, or confirm Orr refute rumours about pricing for any of their cars beforehand, this is just people putting words in their mouth. Why would it be different this time around? Porsche never misled ANYONE, it was the Internet forums and car journalists that knew exactly nothing that misled the public and none of those are willing to owe up to it.

Porsche the brand had always stood for quality and workmanship and with pricing to match if not exceed that standard, so why would the Taycan be different? Because some 2 bit 'journalist' that's still growing their pubic hair WISH it is the case? How absurd.

From the beginning, like one the drawing board stage, the Taycan was never a competitor to the Tesla Model S. This is what the Internet forums WANTED it to be.  Up until now, Tesla have always been a one dimensional drag race machine with a not good enough interior. Can you think of a Porsche that's one dimoentional drag race machine? Every Porsche ever made have handling as their primary focus, Porsche had never made a car that's drag focused, some might have all world acceleration but that's just a product of how the parts fits together, it's not their primary focus. 

Porsche sees they have a product gap. They have big and small SUVs, they have big and small sports cars, but they only have a big sedan. They needed a small sedan. They also needed to have a EV car. Hence the Taycan is born, a small EV sedan. Size wise it bridges the gap between the 911 and the Panamera and since it is the EV, it's the launching pad for them into the EV segment.

Let me ask you this question, if Bentley, Rolls Royce  decide to do a small sedan, would you think for one second that that sedan will be close to a Camry pricing or a Ghost pricing? They know they made a good quality product and command that kind of pricing to match.

This is the big big mistake of American media and internet personal, the BIG 3 had been bad for so long that they really want the next AMERICAN car company to be good, and Tesla has proven that they really are not bad. Tesla priced their Model S/X into the 6 digits simply because those EV components are expensive, if they price it any lower they would lose money, (not that they are actually making money but that's for another time), but that 6 digit car doesn't have a 6 digit worthy interior, so while look at price alone it would seems they are the 'premium' 'luxury' car, but the content inside certainly doesn't match that label. But the Americans doesn't care, they see the 6 digit pricing and proclaimed it is a 'luxury' car, a 'premium' car and designate the luxury segment as the competitors. 

A 40k Mercedes CLA sedan has a better interior than any Teslas, not just the Model S, it also carries the luxury brand name too, can we apply the same logic and say the Model S is over price now? The logic has to go both ways and can't be a one way street. Heck look at the Nissan Leaf, a pure EV in the EV segment, it basically has the same quality interior as a Model S, so why don't people complaint about the high price of the Model S vs the Leaf? Actually should we start complaining about it now?

Porsche does't need to move DOWN to Tesla's price bracket, VAG doesn't need them to, they got brands like VW and Audi standing by. Tesla's don't even have interiors matching VW, let alone Audi. My Golf R's interior is still miles ahead of any Tesla. How can Tesla hope to compete with a Porsche interior?

Honestly, you don't have to look far, just look at me. I had my deposit for the Taycan for the longest time, long before anything was said and shown. Yet I am one of the first to cancel it. I was just talking to the Porsche Western Canada rep the other day and he asked me do I need a early car or a late car, I again told him I don't need one.

Tesla just cut their pricing again not long ago, I priced another Model S, this time it comes to CAD$152k. a Model X comes to CAD$172k. Those prices includes $7,900 for thin air, literally it's a pre-payment for features that made or may not come during my ownership period. I priced out my Taycan Turbo S to be just around CAD$ 247k-$248k.

For that extra $100k, I get the Porsche badge, next generation EV tech, legendary Porsche handling, and a rich, lush interior like this:

Screenshot 2019-09-15 14.48.51.png

Screenshot 2019-09-15 14.49.04.png

Screenshot 2019-09-15 14.49.31.png

vs the Camry quality of the CAD$150k Model S: (had to click the white interior as that's the most expensive option, the black interior is $2000 cheaper. 

Screenshot 2019-09-15 14.51.14.png

But as you all know, I picked the Audi e-Tron and this gorgeous high quality interior and saved myself another CAD$50k over the Tesla Model S.

1568584710130IMG_0467.JPG

Now if Audi can do such a great EV for CAD$100k, why is the Model S CAD$50k more and the Model X CAD$70k more? I think that's the more important question than complaining about the high price of the Taycan. Let's not forget the Audi is a more luxurious car, more premium car, more prestigious brand name also.

--