nberry:
Whoopsy:
nberry:
Grant:
Carlos from Spain:
Whoopsy:
nberry:

BTW, Europeans must have different level of wealth. A car priced over $100,000 is not considered a luxury car.

It's not the price the defines a luxury car. It's the content. Materials used, fit and finish, brand value, etc.

Was going to reply but you saved me the time. This ^

Right, a BAC Mono cost much more, but nobody calls this a luxury car Smiley

SmileySmiley Yep in support of an untenable position, we turn to comedy.

Nick, high price doesn't means luxury. 

My 918 cost more than any other car in my possession right now, it has close to zero luxury items. And no one in the world would call it a luxury car.

I think the case is closed.

Nick I agree high price doesn’t necessarily mean luxury. The price can be dictated by performance enhancements. But with the Taycan and Tesla, they are positioned as sedans. Because of the unrelenting bias against Tesla on this site, posters try to find reasons to denigrate the car. The Tesla in the US is considered a luxury car. I believe it’s the only US car manufacturer that builds and sells a sedan for over $100,000. 

Yet, RT posters claim it’s not a luxury car and not in the same league as the Taycan which cost twice as much. You likened it to a Toyota Camry. Seriously?Smiley

Honestly, you have seen the interior of Teslas, A Camry interior is better equipped. Model S, Model 3 are 4 door sedans, just like a Camry, so why not compare them directly? This is basically using the same argument from the Tesla crowd that they are competing against ICE cars, instead of comparing with comparables within the EV segment. The logic has to go both ways,  they cannot have it one way and using the argue FOR them but not AGAINST them.

Price also does not dictate performance, look at the Corvette, and I guess the Dodge Demon, they are super fast car but doesn't carry a gigantic price tag to match the performance. I mean, a Model S does the 1/4 mile in 10 seconds and change, a Dodge Demon do the same thing under 10 seconds, does that mean the Demon should be priced higher than the Tesla?

At the end of the day, price is an arbitrary thing, manufacturers set them according to what they perceive the market will accept. Porsche, Mercedes Rolls Royce, Bentley, etc set their price high, knowing there is a market for their brand and their products. Toyota doesn't set the price of a Camry sky high simply because they know the market won't accept a Camry priced that high. 

A Model 3 is priced quite reasonably, considering the content. It's a cheap interior and hence justified the cheaper price. A Model S/X basically has the same cheap interior, it really doesn't justify the much higher price, why should someone pay that much more for almost the same car in the same brand? VAG could get away with pricing their Touareg, Q7, Cayenne, Bentayga, Urus they way they are because they are under different brands with different brand power and content. This argument is proven in the market place already, ever since the Model 3 came out, it has been eating into Model S sales more than eating into other brands. Tesla sells more Model 3s at the expense of Model S.

Tesla has to price the Model S over $100k simply because the cost of the car is high, they won't make any money at all if they price it lower. It's a FORCED pricing, that doesn't mean it's a luxury car. It simply doesn't have the content to match the 'luxury' label. 

Now back to the Taycan vs Model S pricing. Is the Taycan from Porsche worth more than the Tesla? The simple answer is yes. Taycan is from Porsche, a brand with a much higher brand power than Tesla, so even if the Taycan is exactly the same as the Tesla, it can still command a higher price. Then look at the content, the Taycan interior is light years more luxurious than a Model S, that also warrant a higher price. 2 for 2 now. Performance, Taycan is the fastest sedan on the Ring, Tesla Model S is no where to be found on the records, the only one attempt has it going into limp mode not even half way into the lap, objectively, that's a win for Porsche again. So the Porsche can also command a higher price from the performance stand point. How about usability? Tesla boast a longer range, is that meaningful for a higher price? A diesel A8 has longer range than a S8, but the S8 is more expensive, actually all diesel powered cars have longer range than their gasoline counterparts but the diesel cars are the cheaper one.

These are all objective arguments, has nothing to do about the perceived bias against Tesla. 

Now if you have a problem with saying the Camry comparison, then let's say the Model S is a Lexus LS. A proper 'luxury' sedan. Let's also pretend the Tesla interior is on par with the Lexus. Now look at the Bentley Flying Spur (yes I keep using that car, as I do really like it). Both are ICE cars. Both are 4 door sedans and positioned as such. Should they be compared against each other? If one say the Taycan is comparable to a Model S cause they are both 4 door EV, then the LS has to be comparable to the Bentley. But most people do not compare the Bentley with the Lexus or cross shop them. Heck the Bentley really don't have a comparable except maybe the Rolls Royce Ghost. If a Flying Spur is not comparable to the LS, then why should Taycan a comparable to the Model S?

As I said before, the Taycan is not a competitor, it is the car that sits on top of the Model S, just like Flyings Spur sits on top of the Lexus LS. And the Taycan's appearance means there is a hole for Tesla to move up in pricing if they can update the interior to match the price.

You know, this is actually more about the perceived bias from the Americans, not from the rest of the world. Tesla is an American company, Americans would wanted their own company to be competitive against the rest of the world. But for RoW, it's just another car company making cars, nationality has no bearing, it's the products that was produced that counts. Maybe the Germans will have some bias for their own like the Americans do, but I am not even German nor American, I am a Canadian from Hong Kong, so I really have no bias one way or another with nationality of a car company. I just look at the product period. 

--