CGX car nut:
Whoopsy:
CGX car nut:

Curious why you consider EVs nothing more than commoditized transportation especially since global regulations are forcing automakers to transition toward BEVs and FCVs to meet incredibly low carbon emission standards.  Volkswagen Group, for example, is afoul of the current fleet CO2 limits for the EU, like much of the industry.  Few automakers beyond Tesla and Toyota in the EU are meeting those new limits.  As a result, the Porsche Taycan, and to lesser extent, the Audi e-tron, Mercedes Benz EQ, and Volkswagen ID 3, are ushering the new era away from ICEs to BEVs.  

Volkswagen Group's approach to using Porsche as the trailblazer is the correct approach when EV component costs, basically the battery pack, are much more costly than the corresponding ICE components.  This will, of course, change with scale; however, for the near term, BEVs will remain correspondingly more expensive than the comparable ICE vehicle.  That cost disadvantage is partially concealed by Porsche positioning the Taycan in size, and by performance, in a class below the Panamera.  Additionally, Porsche needed to make its first fully electric car a sedan because of the size of the battery pack, for the desired range and performance, dictates a footprint larger than that of a two door sports coupé.  

When most drivers experience an EV, the transition based solely on drive characteristics will rapidly occur.  EVs simply are that much better, less the noise, than an internal combustion engine.  This is the appeal of Tesla.  Telsa builds a very mediocre car but the consumer is enticed by the vibration free, quiet ride followed with unrelenting acceleration.  The Taycan builds on those basic parameters with devastating effectiveness.  Based on your comments posted on RT, you are the target customer of the Taycan.  

You just answered your own question with the first sentence.

EV are nothing more than a commoditized transportation.

Yes a premium EV will be much nicer than a normal EV, and might have features that lesser EV doesn't have. But at the end of the day, it will just be a transportation device that get used inside cities to go from A to B and maybe C. Like my Miele fridge, it's a premium appliance, I like it very much, so much so that I have 2 of them, but there is no emotions between myself and my fridges. It stores food and drinks, that's it. I also like my Sub-Zero under counter freezers, yes I have 2 of those too, but there is also no emotional attachment. 

When they die, I will just buy another one to replaced, period. 

Very unlike my normal cars, I will never sell my 918, and my son told me not to sell the Turbo 3.6, that's because there IS emotional attachment there. My e-Tron is on a lease, there is zero attachment, when it's done it's done and I will get something else to replace it. Heck, I have more emotional attachment to my Honda pickup than the e-Tron. 

I wanted to hear explanation of why he believes EVs are commodities. There is only some much that automakers can accomplish to differentiate automobiles beyond interior and exterior design and fit and finish.  Some automakers, Porsche, for example, have the ability to alter vehicle dynamics based on weight distribution and polar inertia based on engine configuration and placement.  If a company like Porsche isn't able to inject a USP into the EV, then one agrees, the automobile is essentially dead.  However, early reviews of the Taycan suggest that this car is a devastatingly quick point-to-point car with enough quirkiness and charm to leave the thought of commodity behind.  

This is $64K question; can the auto industry make an EV have the emotional attachment that for example a manual transmission NA sports car has. Some would argue that even a PDK equipped vehicle removes this experience. Interesting times and probably more of billion dollar question, because if they cannot then they just become appliances.