Hi Dreamcar

I too was invited to Silverstone last week and my feelings were very similar to yours, we all sat through the briefing and then the video with the flat 4 history linking the new 718 to the flat 4 cars of the 50's and 60's

Steering is better than my S and the updated sat nav is great but the engine note on the new S PDK when I did my first lap was awful.

Yes there's plenty of low down power and its very quick, launch control especially so, although I can't see I'd ever want to put my car through this stress.

After our first session we were back to watch a video that focussed on the new sat nav and car play features and I think the cars will appeal even more so to those using them as a daily driver, especially when you consider the performance from what is the entry car in Porsches range but to me who uses their Boxster for high days and holidays the engine drone just turned me off.

If I was in the market as a first timer however moving from a hot hatch I would probably be more than happy with the standard car with a few options. 

I did really like the two tone black and Bordeaux interior in the display car, where we a couple of guests connected up their phones to the Car play features, sadly this interior is not available with the sports seats plus

On a very positive note breakfast and lunch were excellent and I happily drove back to my office in my Boxster S with my wallet closed.