I understand very well why this happens: In Germany, the climate change has pushed away basically every other topic in the media, including the refugees topic which was actually occupying the public here for a very long time. The VW emissions scandal was very likely a strong trigger, also because VW did nothing to stop the media from reporting new headlines almost every single day. Just stupid! 

I also get the feeling that the climate change topic has helped many politicians in various countries. Suddenly, climate change has become a topic again, helping especially those leftist parties who lost a lot of ground over the past years because of the whole illegal immigration and refugees discussion in Europe. Since the media over here is in general also a little bit leftist (Americans call it liberal ), they loved to pick up the new topic, saving them from the not so beloved immigration topics and headlines.

That said, suddenly the earth is dying fast and humanity has only 9 years left, at least this is what a teacher told my son in school. 9 years. So I guess I should start worrying, right? Well, I remember when I was in school, acid rain and all and my teachers, politicians and the media predicted that by the year 2000, the earth would be completely destroyed environmentally. No more food, no more water, no more oil, hundreds of millions dying from famine and the air would be almost unbreathable and cancer rates would have extremely high spikes. Well, we all know how this story continued, so I'm not willing to let others infuse me or my kids with eternal fear.

Bottom line is: People are confused and don't know what cars to buy. For car manufacturers, the whole market is a mess right now, especially in Germany but also in Europe and maybe even the US. Nobody can predict what will be in five or ten years, especially since some politicians want to ban petrol engines completely and others say this is nonsense. Interesting times ahead, I am so glad I do not work in the car industry. angry

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)