SciFrog:
lukestern:
Whoopsy:

Why are you acting surprised?

It has always been known that the Taycan is a smaller car than the Panamera, they do not compete in the same class. People that want more rear leg room goes for the Panamera.

Only SciFrog thinks a Taycan, a smaller car, is going not steal sales from the bigger Panamera. Weird to think that way as E class cars don't steal sales from S class.

Sure, you're right, but I thought that even though the footprint of the Taycan is smaller than the Panamera, they would have been able to squeeze in some legroom in the back due to that EVs in general allow for more interior space because of smaller drive train. This was the first time I have seen any images from back there and was just surprised that it looked as cramped as it did.

But giving it a second thought it's probably a good thing that it is smaller. Will be a more nimble car and in Europe we in general like smaller cars on our tighter roads and in cities so why not Smiley

Sorry but I do not think I was the only one thinking that the Taycan was a real 4 seater. Actually I would like to know how many of the 10,000 deposits didn’t know that or that the car will cost nowhere the $79k price that was floated early on, or that the real usable range will likely be hard to live with, especially if you drive it like a Porsche.

Smaller exterior yes, but small INSIDE is the real surprise. So indeed it will not steal as many Panamera sales as I thought, but nor will it steal many Tesla S sales. What the Taycan seems to be is a car for families without kids. What it might steal now though is “comfy” regular 911 sales.

Price wise, this does not bode well for the next Porsche EVs because basically a Macan EV would be slightly lower or the same price as this, a Cayenne 25% more and a Panamera EV would be much higher.

Porsche has stressed on numerous occasions that the Tesla Model S or the Model 3 is not competition for the Taycan.  It is, as one has stated several times, is more a modern rendition of the evergreen 911.  Unfortunately, to get the range demanded in the market and under current levels of battery technologies, the large battery pack forces Porsche to adopt a larger, four door configuration.  This car is introducing several technologies including a two-speed transmission to move performance parameters forward.  Of course, there are parameters more important than base 0-60 mph times.  The acceleration times beyond 100 kph must be incredible as Porsche is limiting torque at launch to preserve the drivetrain, and probably the tires too.