RC:

The 720S is a great sportscar and a monster but I wouldn't get one. It completely opposes why I am looking for in a sportscar but it is a very fine piece of automotive tech, no doubt. I wish Lamborghini would build the same lightweight cars McLaren does.

Since I enjoy driving on country roads, pass roads and similar roads (the Autobahn is no fun anymore, it was fun when driving over 300 kph was a novelty but it wear off fast), I want a car I can push hard, even without passing the legal speed limit and exceeding certain "boundaries" on public roads. A 720S is not only complete overkill for that, it just isn't fun because you need to be extremely cautious.

The lack of proper engine/exhaust sound (for me, others seem to enjoy it), the turbo lag (many say there isn't one but it is very very obvious, especially if you switch back to a n/a car) and the traction issues if the road isn't completely dry/clean or the tires aren't really warmed up yet, make the car no real fun if you want to push it hard.

Autobahn? Track (with the proper warming up)? Very nice car and for the power/performance it delivers, a real bargain, no doubt.

20 years ago...oh wait...10 years ago...I would have gone for the 720S without thinking twice. Now? Well, you know the rest of the story. In speed limited countries, the 720S is a car which makes no sense whatsoever anyway but I guess people get it for various reasons, including bragging rights. Right now, I would probably get the 600LT if I were interested in a McLaren, just the right amount of power in a very sporty package.

I am very impressed with what McLaren is offering, especially considering how long ago they started making sports cars. I am also highly disappointed with Porsche and even Lamborghini because they lost the weight and hp war against McLaren and I don't have a clue why. On the other hand, I am deeply impressed how Porsche succeeds in squeezing the last bit of performance out of the 911, same goes to Lamborghini with the Aventador, which not only is pretty slow straight-line (SVJ vs. 720S for example) but also has the crappiest gearbox in this segment. The GT2 RS and the SVJ may not be the fastest on the drag strip but they certainly make an impact on the track, even with much higher weight figures. 

I'm afraid however that slowly but steadily, McLaren will close the track performance gap as well.

It will be interesting to see how McLaren is going to handle the mild hybrid/electrification issues ahead. Unfortunately I think that the new tech will break McLaren's (financial) neck, so sooner or later, they are going to have to cooperate with a bigger manufacturer or will be bought by someone. I may be wrong but... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (May 2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I would love for McLaren to forego hybrid entirely and push their ethos of light weight all the way, all the while working on a pure EV. This would give them a major different tack vs Porsche and Ferrari whose case are about to get somewhat faster but much fatter by adding batteries and electric engines.