Courtesy of a nice invitation from Porsche Centre Swindon we had a day out at the Porsche Experience Centre Silverstone to sample the new Boxster 718. It's not "seven one eight", or "seven hundred and eighteen" but "seven eighteen" apparently.

The styling looks better in the metal than it does in photographs, not unusual for Porsche models not to be photogenic I guess Smiley Every panel is supposed to be different from the outgoing 981 but difficult to spot much difference, the car does seem somewhat sleeker. The new front end is nicer than the 981 (non GTS /Spyder) models however I'm not convinced by the rear, the new vertical panel beneath the rear spoiler with PORSCHE on it clutters up what used to be a clean rear deck.

Inside I like the full leather detailing with the stitching running down either side of the central console but I don't like the new central vents which are now proud of the dash top rather than flush on the 981; the worse part of the interior is the return of the sport chrono "wart" rather than being classily integrated on 981. Changing details for the worse just for the sake of meddling - will designers never learn a good rule in engineering - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The new smaller steering wheels are an improvement none more so than the new multi function sports wheel which replaces the awful ugly multi function wheel of the past that was more suited to a truck or van than a sports car. The PDK selector lever now has the + and - direction reversed for manual shifting; not a worry for me as I always use the steering wheel paddles to change gear rather than the lever. the new PCM is light years ahead of the 981 version, slightly larger screen, much better and clearer graphics, now with full phone integration. Navigation also a huge leap ahead with use of Google maps, real time traffic updates and the ability to set the navigation routing up from a smart phone without even being in the car. Brilliant! PCM and bluetooth phone hook up both now standard for the first time in Boxster. LED headlights are an - expensive - option for the first time on Boxster; as is lane change and blind spot warning, not that I'd have them, nothing like good old fashioned observation rather than relying on gizmos.

Now for driving impressions, I drove a base 718 manual and a PDK 718 S with PDK, PASM and ceramic brakes - good as I got a close comparison with our GTS.Smiley Steering is noticeably sharper now with a 10% quicker rack combined with the smaller steering wheel, nice! maybe it was the cars maybe me, but I found it much easier to control the induced skids on the kick plate skid pan and ice hill slalom than in the previous cars. The six speed manual is a lovely shift and PDK is even better than before smoother, more intuitive on automatic shifts, and faster with it. 

Now for the elephant in the room, the new flat four engines. I did my best to go to the drives with an open mind but IMO these new engines have comprehensively ruined the cars for me. The base 2.0 engine sounded better the 2.5 rougher and a bit more agricultural. The good thing is the much improved torque does an improved job of masking the high gearing, the cars are definitely quicker I'd say the new S is probably quicker even than our GTS, and the base car is quicker than the previous 981 S. But it's the way this power is delivered I don't like, more in the fashion of  a turbo diesel way, low down power with no real encouragement to rev the engines, as there is no reward for doing so. None of the cars at Silverstone had a sports exhaust, not sure what improvement that would make to the sound as it's difficult to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Smiley The new engines have transformed the Boxster from something rather unique and special to just an ordinary, if fast, sports car. Imagine Mazda introducing a new model up from the MX-5 / Miata if you will, that's what the 718 would be like. The new drive trains could be from any hot hatch and have no place in what is an expensive sports car, and significantly more costly than the outgoing car. 

Would I consider changing our GTS in a few years time for a new uprated 4 cylinder GTS? Sorry Porsche, but no. SmileyYou've ruined the car for me and if I bought one I'd get bored with it pretty quickly. The other significant improvements are all well and good but not enough to compensate for the new engines. 

At the end of the day it was a pleasure getting back into our GTS with its wonderful engine and aural delights and driving home. Smiley

PS apologies for photo quality on the day; iPhone 6S Plus, can't really carry a DSLR around on these events! Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 R Design daily drive