lukestern:
RC:

I wasn't talking about quality but headroom, leg room and space feel. The Tesla S feels more cramped in the back than the E class...as far as I remember, a lot of time has passed since I've had the Tesla S for a test-drive.

E-class is more comfortable for two adults in the back seat than the Tesla S, no doubt about that. The Tesla S is however rather wide and can better seat three people and also doesn't have the middle transmission tunnel, which means that there is more space on the flat floor in the middle.

What I've learnt however after testing several Model S is that from 2018 MY, the back seat is changed to a much better variant with three individually shaped seat in the back. Before this it was just an ugly and uncomfortable "bench" in the back (which I think is the variant most have tested). Head room has also improved with the new glass roof which didn't exist in Model S from let's say 2017 and older. With the higher floor in the Model S the back seat comfort will be better in a similar sized car, but depends also on body shape and how you prefer to sit back there. Model S cargo capacity is however by far the biggest in its class. Think it is about 850 liter or so without rear seats folded which is huge in its class and also with the hatchback opening it is nice for hauling cargo. There is also the extra cargo space in the front which is similar to the space in a 911.

That's how a Model S got classified as a full size when it is a mid-sized. EPA adds up the cargo room too.

But that's the advantage of the Model S, cargo room of a wagon, seating arrangement of a 7 seat wagon (those rear face 2 seats in the trunk), but in a body of a sedan.

--