lukestern:
Porsche-Jeck:

Yes, I agree - especially with the keyword "yet"  It will be an interesting race for sure kiss

Fully agree that it is an interesting race and it's a joy being a spectator Smiley

But what to some extent is skewed in my opinion is the "Tesla vs. the rest" and wether Tesla will survive or not. I mean, the race is as much between BMW, Mercedes, Audi (to name a few) to compete with each others new products in different segments and how they can manage the transition and selling ICE vehicles in parallell with their new EVs. It's a thin line and the legacy and necessary investments in electrification will for sure not be smooth sailing.

Just because BMW launch their new 3-series doesn't mean that they will "kill" Audi A4 and Merc C-class sales. In the same way just because BMW or Audi launch a new EV doesn't mean it will kill the Teslas. I'd say that Tesla actually formed a new segment of car buyers that are more interested in tech than in the actual car. In this segment there are probably not that many who jump the Tesla ship that easy and buy a BMW 3-series EV instead. Of course it work out the other way around as well where a die hard BMW fan have zero interest in a Tesla 3 and wait for a 3 series EV (if that person at all is interested in an EV).

For Porsche it will be very interesting to see how things develop with the Taycan and how they sell that in parallell with the Panamera at a similar price point. Recent news show that demand looks very high and in it's niche this will be a fantastic car. Actually the car that interest me personally the most among all EV launches.

Taycan is a EV car, it sells in the EV segment. Which currently only has Tesla take the whole pie without competition at premium price end. Same with all the other EV from the other Germans.

Together they will gradually grow the EV segment to become bigger, but the sure thing is that Tesla will lose major market share, a fact as they current have 100% of the segment. 

EV cars compete with EV cars, just like pickup trucks compete against pickup trucks, you don't hear people talking about Jesus those F150s are killing the sales of the Focus.

As for the Taycan competing against Panamera. It's a moot point. They are different size for different segments. GM, Chrysler and Ford all sells full size pickups and mid sized pickups, and no one give a single fuck about Jesus those mid-sized pickups are stealing sales from the full sized. They only steal from competitors from the same segment. Nor did someone say damn those E-Class are stealing S-Class sales.

--