bluelines:
Grant:
SciFrog:

Limited? They sold 1000 R very easily, the market for 4 seater and convertible variants of that car is very big, easily in the thousands at prices close to $200k...

I disagree.  I think the demand for the car at $200k is largely because they built 991 units.  Tell the world you're building thousands of each Coupe, Convertible, and 4-seater and demand would look very different.

Yes, the demand is there because it is "limited" and "special". If you start building thousands of this car, then it will cannibalise on the rest of the 911 sales, which likely have much higher profit margin anyway.

Not to mention the Porsche Motorsport image, that offering a "convertible GT3 with rear seats" would seriously dilute the GT-brand and I hope they will never ever do this.

It hasn't diluted any other brands.

Every exotic brand has a convertible version of their track-oriented cars. People say they're even better than the coupes. Hell, La Ferrari Spider is coming out shortly.

The only thing that would keep me out of a Spider version of any car is the looks. Most look like shit compared to the coupes. Targa would be my preference.