ISUK:

Is anyone really surprised that there is huge interest in the Taycan? It is the perfect car for the virtue signalling generation as it combines a recognised luxury brand with green credentials. It will become the totemic symbol for the metropolitan middle classes in much the same way that the first Toyota Prius was appropriated by the Holywood A listers trying to show how much they cared for the environment when they popped down to the gym on an organised paparazzi chase yet stil they did nearly all of their travel in huge limo's or private jets that were, somewhat inconveniently for PR purposes, far more polluting.

Most of these people have zero interest in driving dynamics so couldn't care less about the handling etc. They will simply want to be "seen" to be going green. If they were genuine about caring for the environment they would already be driving Nissan Leaf's, Kia Niro's etc but aren't as those brands don't send out the affluent lifestyle message that an EV Porsche will. They could be driving a Tesla just now but again that brand does not have the cachet they look for. The Taycan is a car they will give up their luxury SUV's for or one that they will see as a step up from their current Audi/BMW/Mercedes sedans. It will say "look at how successful I am yet how concerned I am for the planet". It really will take the brand ever further away from it's roots just as the SUV's have.

How Porsche could underestimate demand beats me as the Macan set the precedent for how much value is placed on the right badge by buyers. It has not sold in the huge numbers it has because of it's dynamic abilities. It has sold as the brand is aspirational in the minds of the target audience (which is not people like RT members).

Iain, isn't that what most of us do? It's true that  we care about handling characteristics but that can be had with a Miata, Lotus or Fiat.  The brand sends the message.

BTW, not sure millennials are willing to pay over $75,000 for a green car.Smiley

--

Being adventurous can be risky but routine is lethal.