SciFrog:

Watt, I do not know nor want to know your family status but I would imagine if someone had small kids, they would never stay and would just let the whole thing burn down if that had to happen...

A person would have to be mentally and spiritually defective to stay with children.  In the 1993 fire, my son was 2 weeks old and my wife left with him, nanny and the dogs, in 2007 he was 14 and she took him and the dogs to his soccer match whilst I saved the house.

Each person has their own decision matrix but if you live in Malibu, you must understand that fire is coming and you either prepare and fight, or know in advance you're leaving and letting it go.

My son came down from SF early for Thanksgiving as the air was worse than China from the terrible forest fire in the North, and asked me about 1993.  Since the fire depts are comparing this fire with 1993, a massive 100 year fire, I showed him the video I have from an off duty fireman who shot my house whilst it engulfed in roaring flame [not a fire truck to be had as the fire was "too dangerous" and they pulled their guys after a few were burned in their truck up the road].  After it ran over 150 feet high from the North [the video of my son's Godfather on the garage roof hosing away and the American flag on the garage became a political ad on tv that year:)], it wrapped around and I almost lost it on the South side, you can see me, hose blasting, on the South deck surrounded by flame, then the house wrapped in flame disappearing in the smoke.  The viciousness and terror of the fire is hard to understand unless you were there.  My nearest neighbour, a fire captain who saved his own house, watched this from 1000 yards away.   When he saw me afterward, he said he couldn't believe it was true that I was standing there... tending my generator.  The good old days.  A guy on Latigo Canyon did the same thing this time, he was ready and he fought and he won [ and many others did too].

This year I just rolled up the hoses dry and put them away, as those planes held it at Malibu Canyon, so I never went wet.  Had to reschedule spine surgery set for last Tuesday "due to fire", pretty funny!, but thank God for painkillersSmiley