4trac:
Carlos from Spain:

Carlos, are you coming to any conclusions re. a replacement path for your 991 in all of this 992 news?  At your famous rate of accumulating km, you will be well over 100k soon if not already, and I never see you in (oh, lets just say) an R8....Smiley

I'm afraid I'm at a loss right now, the small turbocharged engine would be a significant step back for me, sure it has more power but few instances I would really take full advantage of it if we stop to think about it, it is not a track car, on a commute or mountain road driving I wouldn't be any slower, yet I would loose significantly in terms of enjoyment and experience due to the the throttle directness and engine reving NA character, and the engine soundtrack. That I use 100% of the time. While Porsche did a fantastic job reducing those aspects in the 3.0LTurbo, they are still noticeable, especially for someone coming from the 3.8L NA. Just the sound is a big difference.

I don't see any groundbreaking changes in the 992 to compensate for that, so for the first time in almost 20 years of driving a 911 daily, I don't have an option available yet for when I change 911. The GT3 is not really a sensible option for a daily with the amount of Km I drive it not use. .

Outside Porche I see no options that will improve my experience, an R8 has a great NA engine but it is too flashy, and not a daily driver. Also I want rear seats, I  rarely use them but I guess its a psychological thing that I want them.

The good thing is that the  991.1 GTS is the best 911 I ever owned, actually the best have ever driven for daily & weekend combo usage. So I really enjoy it and have no urgency of trading it in for another one, but I put a lot of miles on it an won't last for ever.

Fortunately, it has been rock solid and reliable, it has almost 90,000Km and feels like new, looks new as well save for the stone chips of those miles.So I'm not motivated to change by that aspect either.

I guess I'll  wind up with a turbocharged 992 GTS at sometime, don't see a hybrid-NA 992 on the horizon coming soon enough, so instead of trying to trade-up as soon as possible, this time I will post-pone it as much as I can.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS