Whoopsy:
SciFrog:

At LAST quarter pace Tesla will sell over 320,000 cars in the next year while Porsche wants to sell 7,000 Taycans. Big yawn. The last thing Tesla is scared about is Porsche, especially when it is not sold in quantities for years and does not have a price tag.

Yes the interior is not at quite top of the segment. But does it matter? I don’t think so because so far Tesla interior with their minimalist design and giant screens is just too different. They don’t compete. And say what you want but a Porsche doing 0-60 in 3.5s when Tesla did it years ago much faster than that will make the vast majority of people at least blink. Plus there is no doubt Tesla will make better interiors when they fell they will need to, and not before. And they can do it anytime they want since they do not follow the 4+3=7 years rule of other manufacturers.

Design wise, Tesla might not be the best around but this taycan front in pics does not look good at all. And the interior tries to be futuristic but the steering wheel design is completely out of place.

And you do not even aknowledge the power of OTA updates and no dealership and price haggling model.

That's exactly the same mentality of Nokia, Motorola when Apple joins the party in the phone market.

The no dealership thing is pretty good, I have to say, for the Americans, no ADM on cars. But the rest of the world had been enjoying that for the longest time, new cars are not sold above MSRP so it's a moot point outside of USA.

OTA updates are over rated. Maybe others will follows maybe they won't, it's definitely not a deal breaker for most people. Pushed updates are only good if they are bug free. BTW, did you know Porsche already can do OTA updates on the navigation maps? My Cayenne just had that a while ago when it was connected to wifi for the downloads.

You phone analogy is not on point imho, Nokia and Moto are the Volt and Prius, Tesla is Apple, the rest are Samsung and Android...

OTA updates and even more so constant car updates is critical for an appliance like a Tesla. They don’t have to wait 4 or 3 years to make improvements. I have always hated the fact that Porsche always refused to make improvements after the fact. Bluetooth for example could not be added, or DVD based navigation and such, what a shame, just because they want to force you to buy a new car instead. People here are downplaying the response Tesla can have ONCE competitors really show up. You don’t really think Tesla doesn’t have plans to improve whatever they need to, do you? angry And they are not held by inventory and dealer scams like others are. They can just turn the knob as needed, that is a massive advantage down the road. Everyone here paper benches the vaporware Taycan with no price tag vs a 3 year old (at least) model S. Let’s just wait and see what happens when the cars are readily available in numbers.

And Tesla has not even produced their killer car yet with the model Y. Sedans are dead, people buying them now is mostly because they have to (cheaper price). People buy model 3 because that’s the entry ticket to Tesla and solid EV experience (Volt and Leafs are in a much lower segment).