Carlos from Spain:
SportCarGroup:
Carlos from Spain:
SportCarGroup:
Carlos from Spain:
SportCarGroup:
Carlos from Spain:
reginos:

What are 25kg or even 45kg extra for a road car?

In most cases the body weight of the driver could deviate by this amount of kg. Or if say, you drive to the airport carrying your check-in suitcase would such a weight difference be discernible?

That is not the problem, I added the 90L fuel tank in mine so when fully fueled up that is 23kg heavier, could not care less for street driving for the convenience of doing +800km on a a single gas tank in a 911, a 23Kg lighter 60L fule tank GTS is not going to pull 1 meter from me on a mountain road, nor a turbocharged version with more torque for that matter. So all that is just paper figures I agree, but the trend does matter, if the 992 is 35Kg heavier than the 991.2, then that is already 80Kg heavier from one gen to the other, imagine when you add the battery packs later on.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Silly question, why the weight of the car should bother someone, unless it impacts the performance figures? Personally I'm careless about the weight of the previous vs current model, if the latest model performance figures are better. 80Kg heavier it's like driving with an average male passenger, but you're still getting a better performance than the 80Kg lighter previous generation 991. Or I'm missing something? 

It's not about the acceleration performance, that can be compensated by increasing the torque and HP, its about how it negatively affects driving dinamics, the feel, the braking, the agility, the cornering grip, etc that most important when we are talking about weight in a sporstcar vs a sedan.

It's not a lineal directly proportional relationship because new technologies and advancements in tires, chasis, electronics, etc help to "hide" the weight better, but physics is physics. I'd trade the extra weight of the 992 for the equivalent perfornance compensating HP increase of that weight increase. It's starting to cross the line now, 991 was already borderline size and weight imo.

Somehow I think even with an extra weight the new 992 will reach better result on track than 991, which means better driving dinamics, the feel, the braking etc.  So the question pops up again - what is that "weight buzz" is all about? 

Better lap times on a perfect and flat track does not mean better driving feel and agility, a 991 Turbo S will can match a 991 GT3 lap times in many tracks, but the experience is completely different. I'm sure the 992 will be faster on track, but for a street car, a fraction of a second better lap time matters little compared to how it "feels" carving your favorite mountain road. That is where the fuzz is all about.

We already lost the high reving great sounding NA engines, save for the GT3 so far (there is a reason the GT3 still keeps the NA), if we make it bigger and heavier its only going to make it worse as a sportscar, at least for people like me, who don't care about random spurts of acceleration on a highway straight or paper figures, but how the whole package drives on a mountain road.

I get Your point Carlos, but for some reason you're driving 991 GTS, but not the lighter versions of the previous 911 such as 993 or 996. We must understand, that the technology has it's price. We've already forgot all the buzz about the electic steering, with 991 when it was released, if you remember...nobody is talking about it anymore. Was it that bad? I don't think so...My point is that the new 992 will bring you a better driving experience after all, even with the weight increase.  I drove almost all 911 generations in my life, and for me, each one has it's charm, but the latest model, always brought more exciting driving experience than the previous one.

I put over 200,000km on my ex-997, that is why I'm driving a 991 GTS Smiley and the thing is that I would like to drive a 992 in the future, but right now if I loose the NA for a just downsized turbo then I would loose in the exchange, so I was hoping for hydrib tech in the 992 to compensate as for me the smaller turbo is not a substutite, but the weight gains dont look to good so far, and then I will loose on other aspects if it becomes bigger a heavier than what it already is.

I always like the latest 911, I'm not a nostalgic, but the newest isn't always better in everything, I still prefer the steering of the 997 for example. And if modern regulations force changes in the 992 not intended to make it better as a sportscar but for other reasons the that is a problem that the previous 911 versions did not face, that is the difference now. Sportscars are under fire nowadays and Porsche faces a difficult situation with the 911, that sportsedan makers or low volume sportcar makers do not face as much. Interesting times ahead.

You can always go for a pre-owned 997 again if the weight is an issue smiley 

--