Quote:
Boxster Coupe GTS said:
Porsche announces Tequipment paddle-shifter...

Apparently Exce11ence magazine just received this info from a contributor:

"Incidentally, Porsche have just announced a Tequipment paddle shift steering wheel for the facelift 997. An obvious admission that they got it wrong! In the meantime, all the German tuners are doing the same..."

Link: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=458338

I wish nobody will relay such information unless it is from porsche direct. Many members do value whats written on this forum and will believe the content with no doubt. Since porsche has not announced this, then it should be regarded as one of the many rumors floating around.

I personally like the PDK buttons. They are 'porsche' character at the end of the day. It is all about 'steering grip' vs changing gears.
with PDK buttons, the fact that you use your thumbs for upshift / fingers for downshift gives you a better steering grip. This alone offers a superior sense of "in-control" driving compared to paddles.
With the paddle shift, you will not have your fingers on the paddles the whole time. You will find yourself alternating between gripping and releasing the steering in order to reach the paddles when needed. This alternation will effect your spontaneity and controlled driving.
Some may argue that with paddles, you have better control when cornering since you may never lose the positioning of the paddles even when you are not gripping the steering. The fact is that when you are cornering over 30mph, you cannot or should not release your steering grip even on a track. It is not like you will be rolling the steering over twice like you would do at 10mph.

You have to try both for a while (and not for just for a few days) to realise the advantages. some of you may disagree, but i guess that's what makes these threads interesting.