I just returned from a month long holiday in Europe, which took me past the Lambo factory again. I did the tour this time which was a lot of fun. No cameras are allowed on the tour, obviously, but afterward I wrote down some of the facts they told us, and some of my observations, for what they are worth. Here they are, with photo's:

Touring the Gallardo line, I noticed VW stamps on the fan belts and some brake parts.

The Gallardo frames are made in Germany at the Audi aluminum plant.

Gallardo engines are built using some sub-contracted components. Murcie V12's use hardly any.

All engines are run for 1 hour before being placed in the cars.

Murcielago seat frames are built by Sparco.

Gallardo seat frames are built by Recaro.

It takes 40 hours of labour to hand cut (using scissors) and stitch (old fashioned sewing machine) the interior of the Murcielago.

The leather used in the Lambo interiors is sourced from Austria, the suede from Italy.

It takes 5 cow hides to create one interior.

The Gallardo line runs on conveyors, the Murcie's are pushed along by hand.

The factory makes 2400 cars per year, 400 Murcielago's and 2000 Gallardo's.

40% of all Lambo's are sold in the US. Western Europe, Japan and the Middle East are the 2nd - 4th biggest markets after the US.

After assembly, each car is placed on a dyno for 25 minutes at speed up to 180 km/h, then it released for a test drive.

There are 6 test drivers at Lambo, and each car is taken on a 48 kilometre tour around the area, since there is no test track. (No, they are not hiring)

Here are some pic's: