Quote:
ADias said:
The article went on OK, until this point:

"... So where, after even the 997's novelty fades, does the 911 go from decade's end? I doubt there will be an eighth-generation 911. There is only so much familiarity the world can take. For all the technical wizardry now taming the inherent tail-happiness of a car with its engine slung out the rear, the layout is an anachronism..."

The poor chap who wrote it has no clue.

Has he ever driven a 911 or better yet, a newer one? I mean to first order physics approximations, the weight bias shouldn't even matter because with increased weight comes increased traction. Many mid-engined cars have just as much weight on the rear wheels as a 911. I think it's much better because of greater balance during breaking and traction during corner exit when compared to front engine cars. My engine placement preference for sports cars goes mid, rear, front and no one questions the front engine cars. I remember in a road and track comparison between 11 upscale convertibles that the 996 came out on top as the most modern, useable, and exciting car. Talk of rear bias is outdated in my opinion. The mainstream cars are not evil handling at all and the GT models have lively handling but it is mostly because of lively suspension tuning and other cars with different engine placement and just as aggressive suspensions would be just as difficult (and rewarding) to drive.