Quote:
Ferdie said:
I understand your thinking but I have to disagree. Porsche used to compensate their shortcomings, namely power output and weight distribution, by thoughtful execution of their resources. After all, the 356 and later on the 911 were able to compete with much more powerful cars which almost always had more weight and size to carry around. A lot of people contemplated that the options and developments Porsche currently presents on the Mark II Carreras should have been announced with the 997's initial arrival already. The advantage over other brands does not have to occur by superior engine output but clever execution.

It is somewhat interesting to see that it is primarily those Porsche owners in general who relate their car to other brands based on performance and I have to admit that I can fully understand this. I would not have the same feeling in a Ferrari, a Lamborghini Murcielago or a Corvette C6.

We'll have to agree to disagree.... First off, let's stick to road cars, the cars that Porsche has always sold off the showroom floor...

How do you come up with Porsche somehow losing "thoughtful execution"?? Ferchrisake, it's commonly understood that the 911 is considered a "miracle of engineering" in that the rear-engine layout can STILL COMPETE after 40 years of progress with more textbook-sane platforms..

My brother-in-law has a '67 911 soft-window Targa, top-notch condition... It's a stone-plug for power (most station wagons of the era would pull away in a straight line), the handling is brisk, up until you...well... I shouldn't have to delve back into the jeckle/hyde days of Porsche handling, and beyond that, the car was rather simplistic and minimalist...

Alot of Porschephiles wish for a return to that minimalism, to reduce weight, and gain superiority... BUT... That won't fly in today's market, that won't sustain the company... Your wishes would turn Porsche into Lotus in no time flat...

I think you're looking at things a bit backwards... Porsche has required far more advanced innovation to hold-check against the competition in modern times than they required in the 50's and 60's... The Speedster was no engineering marvel, any more than was a Shelby/AC Cobra.

Back then, the envelope wasn't even beginning to be pushed... The envelope was flapping mostly-empty... The limits of physics were only beginning to be toyed with, balancing weight, horsepower and airflow...

Today, anybody can toss out the soundproofing and options and frills and go back to the 60's mentality of performance... But never forget, another factor of weight is RIGIDITY, and todays hefty platforms can out-handle and out-lateral-G the old flexy stuff. Sometimes adding a bit of heft, when it adds strength, ain't a bad idea...

Anyhow, enough rambling/debating.... I just think there's too much nit-picking here, a little to much romantic nostalgia, when in reality, it wasn't all that "hot" way back when...

I've driven Speedsters and early 911's.... Fun little go-karts, but.... All cars have come a long way... Porsche continues to astound the competition by keeping up with a rear-engined layout.... A layout Porschephiles have always insisted upon.... And now that they continue to fight that battle, and build the car you've forever loved.... You turn your back on it?

Weird....