Quote:
RR4 said:
I sat in a 997 today. My first thought was Audi.
The switchgear reminded me of Audi and the transmission/gear shifting is totally Audi. It has that Audi "springy" feel when you shift it.
My mechanic who just got from training on the 997 confirmed to me that there are a ton of Audi components on the car.

The car looks great though, as does the interior. But I am afraid that for the sake of saving costs the "parts bin" style of production has completely made its way into Porsche.

Since when does Audi use Aisin manual gearboxes? Your mechanic doesn't have a clue what he's talking about...nothing new to most mechanics all over the world, no matter what car brand.
And since when does the training tell mechanics what brand parts are used on a car? This is pure mechanic BS.
Porsche manufactures only 20% of all parts themselves, the other 80% are delivered just in time by suppliers. Suppliers which are used for Audi, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Lamborghini, GM and even Bentley. Not to talk about other car brands.

You're looking for Audi parts? The 986 Boxster shares a manual gearbox with certain Audi models.
The A/C control unit on the 996 was from Audi too, some other A/C parts from VW.
The Cayenne is a different story, a lot of parts are actually VW parts but it might be interesting that even if they have the VW logo on them, most were developed by Porsche engineers.
The gearknob is a salute to the 993. And it is no secret that the 356 and 911 are actually based (especially the engine) on the Volkswagen Käfer (Beetle). Of course the similarities ended very early in the 50s.
The Porsche manual gearbox uses cables for shifting, this is why you have the same feel as with Audi because Audi uses it too...like many other manufacturers.