jennyz,

I think the Ferraris are beautiful more so than Porsches even, more spectacular, more sporty, etc. The 911 lines are very special to me, but objectively speaking side by side an F430 for example is much better looking car. Its aggressive design is part of the charm of it.

That said because its so spectacular, I don't like the attention it brings, thats a severe downside IMO that would severly lower the usefullness and pleasure I would get from driving the car. I don't like people to turn their heads as I go by, I don't like people pre-judging me becuase of the car I drive, I don't like people to wanting to take pictures next to my car becuase of how it looks, etc. Thats a negative aspect of its beautiful looks, ironically some (not all) people buy a Ferrari just for those reasons exactly and miss out on what the Ferrari really has to offer inside.

One of the best things about the Porsches threfore is that it gives you the same or even better performance without all the fuss nor half of the attention. That modest look to me and other people is very very important, if the Porsche 911 would look like the F430, I guarantee you I wouldn't be driving one and have to look somewere else for my driving pleasure, I'm not saying it has to look dull like a sedan, these are sportcars, but Porsche has got the right balance (for some people at least like myself since that is a very personal view and only a matter of tast/prefs, all respectable).

I'm just happy both styles/philosophies exist.