Fascinating discussion about the 911’s appeal. With so many exciting products during this era of automotive excellence, the 911  can appear boring. Porsche certainly understands this possibility, and understood it years ago when it began to develop the Boxster,  Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera, now the Taycan.  I felt this lack of appeal back in the 1980s and 90s, and would not have considered buying a 911 during those times, although I had six 911s prior to that.

I love my Panamera Turbo, as I did  my previous Cayenne Turbos, and I am excited about the Taycan.  But oddly, I have begun to think about buying a 911 again. There’s something about the clean shape, and the unbelievably fun  performance – in the price range – that still is appealing. And you can bet that when the car is reviewed by journalists it will yet again be hailed as a brilliant and enduring icon with stupendous drivability and performing rmance.

Bottom line, I think Porsche understands this ongoing appeal, and is right to continue to evolve the 911. Time and customer demand of course will tell...