nberry:

I’m not aware of any waivers. Once the car lands on US soil, the tariff will be imposed.

Everyone keeps saying it will never happen but they don’t understand Trump. He’ll do it unless our Congress stops him. This week they are working on passing a bill that requires out Trade commission to hold hearings on the auto import tariffs to determine if the undermine national security. It would suspend the Commerce department investigation until the trade commission hearings are concluded. Trump doesn’t have the authority to impose the tariffs without a recommendation from the Commerce Department. 

You don't understand Trump. Of course you can't stop him, he means serious business. This is the only way his strategy can work. If he backs down too easily, nobody would take him serious anymore. Smiley

This is how I educated my kids: I played the madman when I was p.ss.d or wanted something from them they didn't want to "give" me. I played the madman, I yelled, I punished them (took way their stuff in a pretty exaggerated Oscar-worthy way...I should get an Oscar Smiley) and since that time, there isn't much I have to do if I ask them to do something. They do it because they know the consequences if they don't. Trump isn't much different but I am surprised people actually fall for it. Smiley It worked amazingly well with my kids, I even scared my wife (she always thought I mean it but I couldn't tell her the truth because she would have backed down fast, she is just too "soft").

I understand your fears and they may be justified (the European politicians seem to underestimate the threat and take it way too personal in my opinion...) but the German car industry is currently putting huge pressure on our politicians, so maybe there is hope.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)