Airbags might have their downsides in terms of unwanted activations - it is as powerful as a gun and not only guns can be harmful if used in the wrong way - but please show me anything in the safety area that can help you as much.

Volkswagen for example used different airbag sizes for the U.S. and the European market, because in the later people tend to wear seatbelts more frequently and therefore the airbag has less complicated duties to accomplish!

I agree that the weight of cars should be lowered in the future and that something like a Cayenne doesn't fit to Porsche's initial philosophy because of weight and hp-/weight-ratio at all! Anyways, the fact that the Supercup version, which is bar any comfort features, still weights 1100 kg just shows how much the car itself still weights. So there is almost no way to accomplish the initial 911's sub-ton weight with the 996/997, if you don't build the whole car in carbonfibre!

You can order the Carrera GT without Radio and AC and with a smaller battery and save about 50 kg of weight. So what is left on that car? Where do the other 1400 kg come from? Since heavy devises like Brakes and Clutch are made out of Carbon-Ceramics you can imagine that this car has quite a serious safety shell!

If you want low weight take a TVR, a car that is far from being an appropriate daily driver - no ABS, no ASR/ESP, no Airbags and I will definately not want to be in a crash with that car!

Greetings!