Leawood911:

Politics?  

My only comment is that Trump is a deal maker. If he did not see an imbalance to take advantage of he would not be trying to capitalize on it. Have we not seen this many many times from him. Let it play out. He always makes certain everyone walks away feeling like they won in the end. Take a breath and let it unfold. Pretty harmless stuff if I you have been paying attention.  Nice to see him trying. 

Btw. As nick points out. If US cars are crap and Europe makes such good cars why put a tariff on them?  And what about a import duties to Denmark or Sweden?  Australia anyone?  Is trade with the US not better if there are no tariffs on either side?  Does someone who knows everything about economics believe economics applies to each country differently?

I see your points. No tariffs would certainly be best. The customer could then buy what he feels is the best product. 

With regards to cars the US buyer (and the European as well) is doing this already - despite limited tariffs, I feel. The European cars have many advantages if price is no problem. But, of course, we on this forum know this all.

My conclusion: current tariffs on cars have hardly any impact on car buyer’s decisons. They currently buy based on product quality preferences. That is Trumps problem. He does not understand the situation and destroys links to old friends. Next time he needs friends they will all be gone. That’s how life works Smiley