Quote:
JasonC said:

Mine was one of the first out of the factory and has been extremly reliable (far more than the BMW E46 M3). Let's all be careful about extrapolating from a data set of one...Plenty of people have horror stories with Porsche's as well, that doesn't make the entire marque suspect.

The thing is: I heard from many sources that I wasn't the only one with problems. And it is no secret that Mercedes had a lot of electronics trouble lately.
I also was disappointed with how Mercedes handled my complaints: the mechanic was great (as always, this guy is worth gold!) but the feedback from the factory was always... When they suggested to install a new improved steering system, available a few months later, I quit, I said good-bye to my E55. I expected them to take back the car and my salesperson actually agreed and promised to put things on their way but nothing really happened. Guess what, I wanted to go for that nice SL55 AMG Performance Package car in their show because my wife told me to go for a sportscar again but apparently my salesman was too dumb (as always) to understand that I was pretty serious about getting rid of my E55. When he saw me in my Cayenne Turbo lately, his chin fell down right away, he couldn't say a word.

Now I'm happy I didn't go for that SL55. I'm happy with my Cayenne Turbo (well, not fully but you can't have it all I guess) and sooner or later I'll own a sports car again.