+1 absolutly correct. Also you want to run the lowest Octane you can before detonation. The LOWER the octane number the more volital the fuel. Higher octane fuel is a slower burn and it takes higher compression to combust a higher octane fuel.
Quote:
69bossnine said:

Increasing octane does not directly increase power by itself...

But it does allow you to feasibly run more timing-advance...

The question is, does the 997's computer adjust and run a more aggressive advance when afforded a higher octane? Or is it pretty much programmed to max-timing with pump-premium (93 in the U.S.), and hence won't deliver much of anything when introducing the higher-octane fuel?

I used to pump in 100-octane when I drag-raced on a regular basis... By itself, it never produced measurable improvement, but it allowed me to twist my distributor an extra few degrees (this is on old american V8's), which would indeed gain me a tenth or two or three depending on the car and conditions...

Alot of times, there's un-tapped potential in BOOSTED cars where feeding it higher-octane fuel will definitely allow the computer to maintain a much more aggressive timing-curve as boost initiates and builds...

On N/A cars? You don't have the compression variations going on, so the calibration limits are narrower...

But at this point, I'm really getting into bench-racing mode!!