Rossi:
blueflame:
RC:
bluelines:

For a car which is leased 2-3 years this oil change exercise is rather pointless IMHO.

Agreed but I have to be honest, I feel better with an oil exchange, even if the car isn't actually "mine". Smiley 

Found out some interesting fact from Renntech, the well known Mercedes tuner (don't worry, no tuning for my car): Apparently, my particular engine (also used in the other AMG models with some mods) is very sensitive to fuel quality and especially 102 octane from Aral (Ultimate 102). They tested different fuels and qualities and apparently the Shell VPower has too many additives (still meets the 100 octane criteria) but the Ultimate 102 fuel "adds" for example over 25(!) hp to a AMG GT S (versus the 98 octane fuel) without any software adaptation. Quite interesting...

Actually, they claim that many modern direct fuel injection turbo engines often (not always) profit from higher octane fuel as well, so it may be worth a try.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

You also trust in RUF Automobile...during my last visit I asked them, why their own ARAL gas station does not have Ultimate102...

They said I should save my money and use the normal 98Super+.

Blueflame

I keep saying that for ages... Smiley

I think there is a little bit of misunderstanding here (keep in mind that I helped program the software of my former GT500 and I learned so much about fuel qualities, octane figures, E85 fuel (most drivers I ask, even those with experience, don't have a clue what this is, they know only E10 Smiley), heat soaks, thermodynamics and so on).

In general, higher octane figures don't help much with stock cars, this is true.

However, there is a difference with direct injection turbo charged engines: Some of them profit from higher octane fuel at certain rev ranges and/or at certain temperatures/air pressure conditions.

It is a very complicated story and the power gain isn't huge (without modifying the software) but a 5% power gain (with 102 Ultimate fuel) is indeed possible with specific engines. 5% can be over 30 hp on a E63S (Renntech claims a 25-27 hp gain only though). Furthermore, a heat soak (I bet many don't have a clue what this is either) can be prevented or delayed with higher octane fuel. Meaning: The same 500 hp engine could produce 30 hp less at 35°C with the recommended 98 octane fuel quality, while the engine running 102 octane could keep the 500 hp under the same conditions. Small but fine difference.

Btw: Ruf doesn't have 102 Ultimate because people in Germany often are not willing to pay more for this fuel and he would loose the 98 octane customers (which are many many more). This is the only reason he has Super Plus 98 only. Smiley Apparently Aral allows only a choice of Super Plus or Ultimate, not both. Especially for smaller stations.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)